Tuesday, June 9, 2009

just a trim

© photograph Grace Albaugh 2009
kindergarten


I had my bangs trimmed today. This is something I do three weeks after I get my hair cut. Then, three weeks after that I get my hair cut again. That's the routine. Back to the salon every three weeks. I would complain about the fact that my hair grows faster than any other hair on earth but then I would hear from all of the poor women out there who's hair grows slower than molasses. I am grateful for the Olympian growth when I get daring with the cut and decide it was a mistake. I'm able to grow it quite quickly and amend the error.
When I was a little girl mother always trimmed my bang herself. Now I love my mother with all of my heart, but the woman couldn't cut a straight line if her life depended on it. If you look closely at the picture above you will see the jagged cutting across my forehead. In fact, there is a gouge taken out of the left hand side. (you may have to click and enlarge it to see) There was a time when I was in 2nd grade that I talked mother into cutting my hair about six inches. It would have sat between my shoulder blades and still be long enough to put in braids. By the time she finally called our neighbor to come help her get it straight it was up above my shoulders. Thank goodness for Mary. She quickly got it nicely trimmed and sitting pretty. I wound up with a little page boy cut and mother wound up in tears. But not to worry dear. My hair grew quickly then too.

© 2009

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

What an adorable picture! I really chuckled about the gouge! My kids finally put a halt to my efforts to cut their hair because of all the gouges I made (and sometimes nicks on their poor tender scalps!).

Absolutely delightful post!

Cheffie-Mom said...

What a cute photo! My mom gave me a pixie cut after first cutting my sister's hair and saying, "Look Debbie, isn't your sister's look cute? Don't you want a pixie cut too?" Besides nearly chopping off my ear, the "shaggy pixie cut" framed my ears which of course made me look like an elf. The experience was so traumatic, I've never worn my hair short since!