Tuesday, June 9, 2009

flowers


© photograph Grace Albaugh 2009
the north garden at 106 River

Things are really starting to bloom in the garden. The fragrance in the back yard is heady and I go out often to fill my nose with it. The perfume changes as I walk from one end of the yard to the next. Stopping for a moment here and there, taking it all in. I can't decide where to pause the longest. It all smells so good. I cut and brought in some Columbine. They are so delicate and sweet to look at.
The gardens at 106 River were many and large. Mother or I were always snipping and bringing in an array of flowers throughout the garden months. At this time of year it was apple blossom, Violets, or Iris. We arranged them in vases of all sizes, all over the house. It was like strolling through my back yard. As you passed from one room to the other it was a whole new aromatic experience. Hmmm, the thought of it makes my head swoon.

I love cut flowers in the house.

© 2009

1 comment:

Kim said...

It's great fun to read your blog, Grace, because your childhood memories are intertwined with mine.
I loved your old house. It was one of the first, if not THE first, two-story homes I'd ever been in. As a child, I was struck by the beauty of its design. Most of all, I remember how, in December, your family would erect a small tabletop Christmas tree on a large sheet of plywood (elevated by sawhorses) and then set up an elaborate village at the base of the tree, complete with mirror skating pond. An electric train would cruise around the village. Pure magic! No doubt, it was a huge amount to put that together and then pack it away. Thanks Marilyn!!! (And kids who helped!)