Monday, April 27, 2009

special spot to drop into

I stopped by one of my favorite spots to have lunch today. The soup was warm and rich. The sandwich was piled high on wonderful home made bread. I sat at a window seat so I could watch the world go by as I ate. I love to sit and imagine where people are going and what they are thinking about as they saunter past. There is a couple holding hands going into a shoe store next door. Now that's love when a young man will subject himself to a shoe store with his lady. Perhaps they are looking for shoes for a special occasion, maybe even a wedding. Isn't that a fun thought.

When I was very little my dad always went down to the local cafe on Saturday mornings for breakfast with his buddies. They would spend about 45 minutes there eating their eggs, toast and coffee and catching up on the weeks news. They didn't stay long because everyone had errands to run and chores waiting at home, but they still made it a point to gather. I had the privilege of joining them one time. I thought I was something special and if you had asked my dad he would tell you I really was. Daddy passed away from cancer when I was 8 years old so these memories are close to my heart. It was always the most simple things I remember like a breakfast with dad and his buddies that are tender to me. We were two peas in a pod my dad and I. We didn't need for life to be grand. Just warm with those we love and a lot of nature thrown in. I miss his dearly but I'm glad to have had even the little time I had with him. He was the greatest in my eyes. Still is, and I take him with me often to quiet spots and feel of his spirit.
I love you still daddy.

copyright 2009

What are your fond memories with your father?

No comments: